Wednesday, December 3, 2008

If I Had a Rich Man

Thanks to jumco I have a new hero: Melissa Beech, a college senior reaping the benefits of her high-end education and aesthetically pleasing bone structure. She is living in Philadelphia, shopping in London, and is in a "mutually beneficial" relationship with a man who interviewed her for a job, did not hire her, but offered her the following arrangement:
He offered me a monthly allowance, guaranteed a steady stream of desirable gifts, and promised regular vacations. He offered to send my friends and me on girls’ weekend getaways to spas and resorts. Other trips, he said, could be working vacations for the both of us, some fun mixed with some hands on learning for me. And yet others could be just the two of us seeing the most amazing and beautiful places in the world.

I rent a $1,600 apartment in the city, for which he pays the rent in full. I carry an AmEx Black card in both our names, and use it for things like shopping, spa trips, manicures, and tanning; the bill goes to him. And the company car I drive costs him around $700 a month for the lease and the insurance. I’ve even managed to build up a little nest egg over the past yearat his insistenceputting away around $12,000. All in all, he probably spends in the ballpark of $5,000 a month on my lifestyle. (c)
Unfortunately for Ms. Beech, there is a crisis going on. One that might cause her gentleman caller slash sponsor to reconsider her conditions.
According to a new survey by Prince & Assoc., more than 80% of multimillionaires who had extra-marital lovers planned to cut back on their gifts and allowances. Still, only 12% of the multimillionaire cheaters said they plan to give up on their lovers altogether for financial reasons. (c)
I sincerely hope he runs out of money before she runs out of cynicism, falls in love with him and ruins the entire arrangement. I suppose then Ms. Beech will be one of those plain college students who wears pijamas and slippers to lectures, not Christian Louboutins. "Nothing gives one away as belonging to the lower classes of society as his ability to distinguish expensive watches and cars." (V. Pelevin, translation - mine)

0comments:

Post a Comment

Please post your comment(s) here. To reply to a specific comment, be sure to paste the appropriate @ displayed into the box below as the first line.